I am not sure why but over the past several months we have been asked multiple times for assistance in the monitoring of contractors in shopping centers by shopping centre management.
Even though I shop as infrequently as I can I have been amazed at what goes on behind the scenes while we all so efficiently shop till we drop.
I have been presented with 2 key issues from recent discussions that really stand out. The first key issue is “who” is the contractor coming to my shopping centre, This first key issue for contractors at shopping centres creates a range of very interesting questions including…
- How do I know who the contractor really is?
- How do I know that the electrician that turns up is inducted on my location?
- How do I know how many hours the contractor really worked while on location?
- How can I manage better all the information about my contractors including workers compensation, public liability, inductions etc.
- How can I manage contractors better on my shopping centre over midnight….how can I ensure the correct contractor has turned up when I am not here?
- How can I help my security guards know who the contractors are on location?
The second key issue is gathering and sharing information with the contracting company and the contractors working for the contracting company which includes having easily accessible information with detailed reports that I can use to compare and share
- How can we better match the hours worked to invoices?
- How can we better manage information about the contractor and the contractors employees?
- How can I know what time the contractor arrives and what time the contractor leaves on each visit?
- How can I better manage the asset register for keys?
Other questions that came out of the recent discussions included
- How can I better manage contractors across multiple locations?
- How can I stop an unauthorised contractor coming onto site?
- How can I easily share the times contractors start and finish on my location with the contracting company?
It is interesting to see how many manual systems are still out there today consuming hundreds of hours every year when you could be getting detailed reports with all the data you need with just a few minutes of your time……..imagine having the report you want in your inbox every Monday morning, saving you that task that you currently cant stand every Monday manually collating data for your boss for 2 hours.
Just today I met with a large company that hosts major events across Australia in the arts, the implications to them of being able to produce a report in minutes that currently takes hours after every event to report on contractor hours put the largest smile on their faces.
Have a great day and if you are tempted to find out more….check this out